For the first time since I started this project back in 2010, I have NOT realized my goal of riding 1000 miles for charity! I did, however, end with 403 miles – in spite of several nasty falls, four surgeries and several trips, both in and out of the USA.
I finally finished the year on a high note, completing 17.8 miles at the Big Creek Greenway to log 50 miles for December.
Needless to say its been a trying year physically, and all started with a two-month layoff the first two months of the year because both knees sustained sprains after my grueling 200-mile journey to Alabama and back on the Silver Comet-Chief Ladiga Trails last November.
Starting in March, 2015, and still feeling I could do 1000 for the year, I kicked it up a notch and rode 100 miles in March and 68 in April . . . before “it” happened.
Midway through the month – on April 22nd, 2015 – disaster struck. I hit a shaded depression in the asphalt while riding the Atlanta Beltline and sustained multiple fractures in both bones of my left forearm! Fortunately, Merritt Shealy was with me at the time, and medical help soon arrived, but it took a 3-day visit at nearby Grady Hospital to correct this little problem.
I then sat around with an arm cast and sling until the end of May before finally deciding to get “back on the wheel again.” Here is the rest of the year-at-a-glance (with a few notes):
- June – 6.5 miles (trying to get back in shape!)
- July – 17.6 miles (slow but steady conditioning)
- August (still getting back to form)
- September – 3.3 miles (left eye cataract surgery; then left for Asia mid-month. Soma and I finally met the kids I help raise money for at the Himalayan Children’s Charities house in Kathmandu Nepal!)
- October – 50.4 miles (great month, considering we were still in Asia until mid-month and I had left eye retinal surgery on the 30th!)
- November – 91.1 miles (recovered enough from eye surgeries to reach my “outrageous goal of 90 miles!)
- December – 50.2 miles (right eye cataract surgery on the 8th and LOTS of rain this month).
Total 2015 unicycle miles: 403
Sorry I have no videos for you – yet. I made some, but they are not ready for publication yet. Stay tuned . . . I have lots of footage of me being rolled around in a gurney in the hospital – something I’m sure you won’t want to miss!!